Friday, September 14, 2007

New Dads Class

As a new dad-to-be, I took the opportunity to attend a one night class for new dads. This was a 3-hour session of what to expect, how to do and sometimes the why things are done, etc. It was taught by a non-medical, professional daddy (2 girls and a boy) along with an RN for the technical/medical support questions. I was amazed, but I guess shouldn’t have been surprised that only about 4% of new dads take this class…

The evening started off with introductions and then we jumped right in with mocking a newborn’s bath followed by a video with diaper changing, bath and burping. The instructor warned us that we would see things in the video that we wouldn't agree with and some things that were just annoying like the “artist dad” that called his son “Mr. Baby”… Seemed whacked to me! I could hear some of the other guys chuckling because it sounded so stupid during the video, but to each their own!! I think they should have found some one else to play the part or just edited some of his stuff out. The one burping position he used was like an inverted (face down) cradle hold and then he mentioned hanging onto the baby’s ankle for safety. It not only doesn’t seem like it would be safe, it looked uncomfortable for the baby. So, at least I learned a little about what not to do. ...aaannddd... You would be hearing me call our son "Mr. Baby".

I did get some tidbits about some different products and how to bring our baby home the first time and for Frankie to meet him. I knew about bringing one of the baby’s blankets home, but I didn’t even think about the order of going in the house. It was suggested to let Amy go in first to greet Frankie because I know she will have been missing her immensely. This gives Frankie a chance to get her time with mom before the little one comes in. Since dad will be around to let Frankie out and bring the baby blanket home, etc. Frankie should be “cool” with dad bringing the baby in. Never heard this scenario before, but it makes sense to me, so I’m sure it will happen that way. Besides, I’m not sure mom will be up for carrying our new son in at that point anyway.

It was an evening that flew by. A ton of information was supplied, most of which would be common sense stuff, but other information to go along with it. A little practical experience was gained with bathing, taking off a shirt and diapering during the class. Oh, you can’t forget how to make a “baby burrito” either, as this is one of Amy’s baby favorites!! It was great introduction of what to do when our baby arrives in 2 weeks or less!! I would definitely recommend something like this for all new dads. It was unbelievably painless!!! :)!!

No comments: