Friday, November 2, 2007

Lordy, Lordy Look Who's Forty!

Yep, that's right!! Doug has reached the ripe age of 40. Turning 40 was just like any other day with a 5-week old. I took the day off and the two days before to enjoy some family time.

Birthday morning started off with getting up with Jacob first thing (5:30 am) for his feeding and changing. Mom had been up a good amount of the night and needed a break. After a little while Jacob settled down, so we were off to the basement with Jacob in his bouncer to play a game of PS2. It was a morning with Jacob. After mom got some shut eye, she was off to do some errands. She could only stand being away from Jacob for an hour and was back, besides, her errands had been completed. This was only the second time that she had been away from Jacob since he was born.

Not wanting for anyone to make an "adult" lunch, dad decided he wanted to go out to eat. A burger was sounding good, so we loaded everyone up and were off to Fuddruckers. We waited until the lunch rush was over and were able to have most of the restaurant to our oruselves.

Back to home we went, where Amy gave me my presents. To my surprise, I received Lion's tickets for the game with the Giants on November 18th. She said that I could take a buddy and go. Without hesitation, I asked her to go with me. After all, she is my buddy so why would I think of anyone else???... So, if it works out, we will be going to the game together.

Not to settle for being 40 and everyone thinking it is old because I don't... Grandma came over to watch Jacob and Amy and I headed off to Great Lakes Crossing to hang out at Gameworks. We had fun just bee bopping around the different games and Amy was able to play one of her old time favorites, Frogger. We ate dinner at Benningans after changing our minds a few times because we didn't really want to wait anywhere. When dinner was over, we were asked if we wanted dessert and we both said no. Of course, Amy then persisted and said, "Are you sure that you don't want any dessert for your birthday?" Our waitress quickly asked, "It's your birthday? You have to get dessert!" So, after some discussion we decided to stay and share a dessert (it had ice cream and wouldn't have made the short distance home...) Oh boy!! I heard one clap and knew I was in for it. Amy asked, "What is that?"... Oh, I knew... Time to embarrass Doug!! Yep, before you knew it there were about 15 people around our table clapping and announcing it was my 40th. The harrassment wasn't too bad and it was cheap entertainment for the large table next to us with a lot of kids. Glad I could bring them some entertainment at my expense... ;)! It was pretty fun watching them clap along. A boy about 6 years old hollered over "Happy Birthday!!" after the singing was complete.

It was a great evening and mom did well knowing that mom and dad were both away from Jacob. She said the first half hour or so and then the last hour were the worst, but she was a real trooper and only called once... We had a great evening out for the first time by ourselves in 5 weeks.

No comments: