Tuesday, August 28, 2007

What a Week!!!!

Whew!! What a week it has been...both physically and emotionally. I sit here and almost giggle at all that has happened and the reality of it all. Let me back up and start from the beginning.

Last monday I woke up and didn't feel very well at all. I managed to get myself up and made it into work. It was a long hard day and I once again felt the strain and stress of my long commute to Ann Arbor for work. When I got home I had about 10 minutes to sit and eat something and Doug and I were off for our Breastfeeding class. I'm very glad we signed up because it was a very informative class and I felt really great about all the info we gained from attending and Doug agreed. During the class I was a little preoccupied with my feet which seemed to be expanding at record speed. I was already really concerned about my feet before class and just sitting at a table for 3 hours wasn't going to help!!! After class I could hardly walk to the truck but managed to waddle my way out of the building and Doug and I were on our way home and my very long day was finally coming to an end. I pretty much went straight to bed feeling yucky and extremely exhausted.

Tuesday I woke up and still felt awful. Once again I was really proud of myself as I was able to get up and make into the office. However I could not stop worrying about how yucky I was feeling and was very concerned about my feet. They had not gone down at all during the night like they usually do and I have to admit I was starting to feel a little scared. I know...swollen feet, not that big of a deal right?? All pregnant women suffer with swollen feet. I wish all of you could have seen them..they were huge, like my skin was about to split huge!!! I was forced to walk around my office in my bare feet because I couldn't even slip on a flip flop!!! I had a doctor's appt already scheduled for Thursday so I thought I could just stick it out until then. However with the persistant urging of Doug and the advice of my sister I called the doctor. He didn't want to wait until Thursday and advised me to get home and put my feet up and come in first thing the next morning to see him. I stuck around work a little longer to finish up a few things and headed home. I went straight to the couch and stayed there all night!!!

Wednesday morning I was awoken by the phone ringing..Doug brought me the phone and it was one of my doctor's nurses telling me that Dr. Genord was delivering a baby and wouldn't be able to see me until later in the afternoon. Ahhh....I thought it was sweet that at that moment my doctor was at the hospital bringing a baby into the world. Then the emotion hit and I freaked out at how close we are to having our own baby!!! Hormones !!! They are a wonderful thing!! I decided I should just stay home all day and keep my feet up until it was time to go see the doctor. Later that day I headed off to the doctor's, all by myself like a big girl !!!! The nurses took one look at me and knew I wasn't doing well and I could feel the encouragement in their smiles. I love these people!!! As soon as the doctor walked into the room he took one look at my feet and looked up at me and simply said "How would you feel if I told you you were done with work?" For the first few seconds I just let the tears fall and then I told him I would kiss him right on the mouth. After a good giggle he took my blood pressure and expressed that he wasn't happy with it and started to explain to me our plan from here on out. I also donated some more blood to be checked for hormones that would hopefully rule out an early onset of preclampsia. He advised that I would now be seeing him once a week AND going to the hospital once a week for a NST (non-stress test). This test puts me on a monitor so we can follow the baby's heart beat and make sure it elevates when it's suppose to then has a good reaction time to balancing back to the healthy rate it should be at. They also take my blood pressure. I have been diagnosed with hypertension due to pregnancy, and will now be watched much more closely!!! So with that news I left the doctor's office to come back home, rest, let the news of being taken off work sink in and wait for Doug to come home....we still needed to go to our last childbirth class!!! Our instructor...who I loved...was very sweet and offered very encouraging words. After 3 more hours of sitting in class we made it and I was wheelchaired to the truck....man was I exhausted!!!! We graduated!!!!

Thursday was a day of relaxation.....a much needed day of relaxation!!! I called my office and spent some time on the phone with my boss filling him in and letting him know that I had officially been taken off work. He congratulated me!!! He knew the last few weeks had gotten harder on me and was actually happy that I could leave the stress of work and the commute behind me for now and concentrate on staying healthy for my baby. I felt a huge relief after having such a nice conversation with my boss. My online course started today as well so I spent a little time getting online and reading the schedule. Other then that I stayed on the couch, and made a very simple dinner for my husband, who has been fantastic dealing with all my ups and downs this week!!!

Friday was my first trip to the hospital for the Non-Stress Test. Bright and early...so much for sleeping in on my first official day of no work!!! :) The test went well and the baby was doing great, which really is my only concern. My blood pressure was a little elevated but apparently nothing to panic about. Just keeping track of it and making sure it doesn't get REALLY elevated is the goal. We spent Friday evening relaxing and eating pizza with some very good friends, which is just what I needed.

Saturday was another trip to my doctor's office. When I last saw him on Wednesday he wanted to see me again quickly so we could go over my first NST and my blood work. The good news is that my blood work was negative for all hormones indicating preclampsia and the swelling in my feet had gone done considerably. He was very happy with that. My blood pressure was still a little elevated for his liking, but everything else seemed to check out. He shared with Doug and I what his thoughts were at this time. With all the monitoring I'm going to be getting he wanted us to know that if necessary he was prepared to induce labor. Yep !!! Induce labor.....i'm pretty sure I looked like a cartoon character with my eyes bugging out when I heard this but was rest assured that the baby is doing great and there is no reason for us to jump to that just yet. But he does want Doug and I to know that at any time from here on out he feels that my blood pressure is a concern for me or the baby he would be very comfortable with taking the necessary steps to get labor started. He also stressed to Doug and I that the baby is doing great and should be born strong and healthy from this point forward. He told me as long as my blood pressure stayed where it was and the swelling in my body stayed under control we could feel confident that he would still have a few weeks. My mind was spinning....holy cow...inducing labor?!?!?!? I got to let that info sink in while Doug drove me to my office!!! After hearing all this overwhelming info from my doctor I really needed to get into my office and at the very least clean a few things out of my desk and send a few emails updating people and letting them know I would now be out on maternity leave and not expected back until sometime in November!!! We ended up being at my office for more than 2 hours and when it was time for me to lock up, I got pretty emotional. I was done working, and the next time I would be back in the office I would have my baby. Doug and I's lives would be totally different, our sweet baby would finally be here and we would have everything!!!

So that's been my week!!!! I am now spending my days sleeping in, putzing around the house and taking it easy. My baby will be here soon!!! I would be lying if I didn't say I was really scared but I am so much more excited. I am ready for him to be here...don't get me wrong, Doug and I welcome the last few weeks we have but I am really ready for my sweet baby to be here!!!!

Sorry this got so long...but it was one long week. I'm sure most of you aren't surprised at all about my rambling on!!! I can't help it....I may be supposed to be relaxing right now but I am still me...and boy can I talk!!!!

No comments: