Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Jacob Vs. The Flu - Round II

The attack of the flu hits us again. The first round found it to be only Jacob of which he fully recovered from a little over a week ago. Jacob became really fussy and did not want to eat when some of my cousins were over. He was having a ton of fun with Kylie and Will until it was time for dinner. He absolutely would not sit in his high chair, so we didn't force him to eat. We were able to get him to bed without too much trouble.
About 10:30 or so Saturday night, Jacob woke up crying. I went in to console him and went to move his blanket when I felt something wet. I hollered down to Amy to come up because I needed some help to clean Jacob up as well as his crib. Jacob was inconsolable and was thrashing about in our arms and on the floor. He had bumped his head earlier in the day and was wondering if the two were tied together, so Amy decided to take him to the hospital. While were on our way, he calmed right down and went to sleep. Keep in mind that we got a bunch of snow, but we still decided to go for a drive while we were out. At least it had stopped snowing by then.
Eventually, we got back home after driving around for an hour. Amy and Jacob spent most of the night awake and Jacob relieving himself. I took the day shift over while Amy got some shut eye. He just wasn't keeping anything down. We did have some pedialyte and he wasn't keeping that down either.
Jacob wasn't himself Monday morning and had thrown up some time during the night on Sunday. So, we ended up taking him to the doctor. Jacob had lost 6-7% of his body weight in a week or so and the doctor was concerned. She said to basically get him hydrated and if he wasn't able to keep anything down during the day to give them a call and that we would probably just have to take him to the emergency room. Fortunately, he was able to start holding the pedialyte down. He just hung out on me all day and then on his mother after she got home from work. Things seemed to be looking up at least a little bit as he was starting to move around a bit and we actually got a couple of smiles out of him.
THEN, I wasn't feeling so hot. Amy was hungry and had to fry up some salami for her dinner. This was all I needed. As soon as she got done with it, I headed for the bathroom. Yep, I know had the flu too. It wasn't real long after that that now we had our third victim... You guessed it, Amy was now sick too. Jacob slept through most of the nighgt and then woke up early, so Amy and I took turns holding him and trying to get him to drink.
Amy attempted going to work as I had already planned on taking a second day off or Jacob and was sent home shortly after she got there. I thought I was starting to feel better and was thinking about going to work. So, I went out and blew the driveway out, etc. Then, I took a turn for the worse again. Jacob now became a little unconsolable again and neither Amy or I could sway, bounce or whatever we would normally do to console Jacob. So, Amy made a call to her mom. She came right over and ended up taking Jacob back to her house so that he hopefully would not get reinfected again and give us a break and rest ourselves.
I am now doing pretty well, but Amy is still sipping vernors and hoping things don't continue to move. We hear that Jacob is doing a little better as well and hope he continues to get better. We are hoping that everyone will be at work and Jacob will be in school by Thursday... Keep your fingers crossed!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i know how you feel doug. i do not ever get sick. so as we down visted melissa. guess who got sick and pass to everone down in la. melissa did not like my xmas prestent at all. helen